FMAR  Vol.2 No.4 , October 2014
A Case and Review of Death Associated with Ingestion of Detergent
ABSTRACT
We experienced an autopsy case of a death associated with ingestion of liquid detergent. The deceased was an 82-year-old woman who was found dead in her bed room. Autopsy revealed corrosive changes of the mucosal surfaces of the lung. The larynx, trachea and stomach contained mucoid matter with abundant froth. Toxicological investigations detected polyethylene glycol in the bronchus, blood and gastric contents using headspace-gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Surfactants generally have low toxicity but can cause damage to the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract. We report here an autopsy case of death by suicidal ingestion of liquid detergent with special regard to the histochemical findings of the case study.

Cite this paper
Furukawa, S. , Morita, S. , Nishi, K. and Hitosugi, M. (2014) A Case and Review of Death Associated with Ingestion of Detergent. Forensic Medicine and Anatomy Research, 2, 89-94. doi: 10.4236/fmar.2014.24015.
References
[1]   Högberg, J. and Rajs, J. (1982) Sudden Unexpected Child Death Associated with Ingestion of Fluid Dish Detergent. Zeitschrift für Rechtsmedizin, 89, 51-55. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF00205000

[2]   Katsura, S., Niitsu, H., Kumagai, R., Nakayashiki, N. and Tajima, M. (1987) A Judgement Case of Suspected Death by Oral Giving of a Large Amount of Surfactants. Research and Practice in Forensic Medicine, 30, 105-111.

[3]   Okumura, T., Suzuki, K., Yamane, K., Kumada, K., Kobayashi, R., Fukuda, A., Fujii, C. and Kohama, A. (2000) Intravenous Detergent Poisoning. Clinical Toxicology, 38, 347-350.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1081/CLT-100100944

[4]   Sawada, Y., Yamamoto, I., Kamiyama, M., Abe, Y., Yoshihara, H. and Fukuzako, T. (1988) Surface Active Agents Poisoning. Journal of Japanese Association for Acute Medicine, 12, 1413-1418.

[5]   Gunji, H., Matsumoto, Y. and Fujii, M. (1990) Two Cases of Surfactant Poisoning. Japanese Journal of Toxicology, 3, 245-248.

[6]   Kimura, S., Okada, Y. and Seno, B. (1990) A Case of Surfactant Poisoning with Hypothermia and Necrosis of the Bowel. Japanese Journal of Toxicology, 3, 241-244.

[7]   Ago, M., Ago, K., Orihara, Y. and Ogata, M. (2003) A Case of Death Associated with Ingestion of Liquid Windshield-Washer Detergent. Legal Medicine, 5, 135-137.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1344-6223(02)00095-0

[8]   Kamijo, Y., Soma, K., Inoue, A., Nagai, T. and Kurihara, K. (2004) Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Following Asthma-Like Symptoms from Massive Ingestion of a Monoethanolamine-Containing Detergent. Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 46, 79-80.

[9]   Kawamoto, O., Ishikawa, T., Oritani, S., Kuramoto, Y., Michiue, T. and Maeda, H. (2013) Death Following the Ingestion of Detergent: An Autopsy Case with Special Regard to the Histochemical Findings. Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology, 9, 208-213. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12024-012-9387-1

[10]   Gawarammana, I.B., Ariyananda, P.L., Palangasinshe, C., de Silva, N.G.L., Fernando, K., Vidanapathirana, M., Kuruppuarachchi, M.A., Munasinghe, M.A.A.K. and Dawson, A.H. (2009) Emerging Epidemic of Fatal Human Self Poisoning with a Washing Powder in Southern Sri Lanka: A Prospective Observational Study. Clinical Toxicology, 47, 407-411. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15563650902915320

 
 
Top