OJPed  Vol.3 No.3 , September 2013
Lead poisoning due to appendiceal foreign body
ABSTRACT
Lead poisoning caused by a foreign body is rare. Foreign bodies that are ingested typically pass without consequence or awareness by the patient [1]. There are few documented cases of lead poisoning from an ingested foreign body lodged in the appendix. Screening for lead poisoning is mandated by New York State at annual well person exams for children ages 6 months to 6 years [2]. We present a case of a 2-year-old male who was found to have elevated lead levels during a routine well-child visit. An abdominal X-ray was obtained as part of routine follow up for elevated lead levels and a foreign body was found in the right lower quadrant. After unsuccessful attempt to flush the foreign body out with golytely, a CT abdomen/ pelvis was obtained. The foreign body was localized in the appendix. The patient was subsequently taken to surgery for an appendectomy to remove the foreign body. This case is a demonstration of the positive effects of the lead screening guidelines of New York.

Cite this paper
Stringel, G. , Lawrence, C. , Noto, R. , Brudnicki, A. and Smith, G. (2013) Lead poisoning due to appendiceal foreign body. Open Journal of Pediatrics, 3, 180-182. doi: 10.4236/ojped.2013.33030.
References
[1]   Larsen, A.R. and Blanton, R.H. (2000) Appendicitis due to bird shot ingestion: A case study. The American Sur-geon, 66, 589-591.

[2]   Center for Disease Control (2009) Statutory authority: Public health law, section 206 and title X of article 13, subpart 67-1. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/grants/New%20York/newyorkstatescre en.pdf

[3]   Needleman, H. (2004) lead poisoning. Annual Review of Medicine, 55, 209-222. doi:10.1146/annurev.med.55.091902.103653

[4]   Kim, D., Overstreet Galeano, M.A., Hull, A. and Miranda, M.L. (2008) A framework for widespread replication of a highly spatially resolved childhood lead exposure risk model. Environmental Health Perspectives, 116, 1735-1739. doi:10.1289/ehp.11540

[5]   Gustavsson, P. and Gerhardsson, L. (2005) Intoxication from an accidentally ingested lead shot retained in the gastrointestinal tract. Environmental Health Perspectives, 113, 491-493. doi:10.1289/ehp.7594

 
 
Top