OJOph  Vol.3 No.3 , August 2013
A 10-Year Survey of Severe Eye Injuries in Sport in Belgrade, Serbia 2000-2009
ABSTRACT

Introduction: The eye injuries inflicted in different sport activities are relatively rare and depend upon the type of sport. They are more common in recreational sport activities. These injuries are generally minor but may be very severe and result in permanent vision impairment. One must be aware of the fact that these sport activities, either recreative or professional, are exercised by young people. Methods: All analyzed patients were hospitalized at the Clinic of Eye Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, for severe eye injuries which occurred in sport activities. The analyzed period included 10 years, from the beginning of 2000 to the end of 2009. Results: In this period, a total of 117 patients with eye injuries sustained in some of sport activities were hospitalized. There were 114 (97.5%) injured males. Mean age of the injured was 25.8 years, and there were no individuals older than 50 years of age. Closed eyeball injures were reported in 96.6% and open injuries were seen in the remaining 3.4% of cases. During recreational sports, the eye injuries occurred in 76.1%, in the school19.6%, and in professional sport—4.3% of the time. The injured individuals were as follows: pupils—35.0%, students—17.9%, workers—22.2%, clerks—20.6% and professional players—4.3% of cases. Upon completed treatment, visual acuity was normal in 77.8%, subnormal in 16.2%, impaired in 3.4% and amaurosis in 2.6% of cases.


Cite this paper
M. Jovanović, D. Vuković, V. Jakšić, M. Knežević, L. Žorić and M. Mirković, "A 10-Year Survey of Severe Eye Injuries in Sport in Belgrade, Serbia 2000-2009," Open Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 3 No. 3, 2013, pp. 93-96. doi: 10.4236/ojoph.2013.33022.
References
[1]   C. J. MacEwen and G. R. McLatghie, “Eye Injuries in Sport,” Scottish Medical Journal, Vol. 55, No. 2, 2010, pp. 22-24. doi:10.1258/rsmsmj.55.2.22

[2]   A. Barr, P. S. Baines, P. Desai and C. J. MacEwen, “Ocular Sports Injuries: The Current Picture,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 34, No. 6, 2000, pp. 456-458.

[3]   A. Garrow, “A Statistical Enquiry into 1000 Cases of Eye Injuries,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 7, 1923, pp. 65-80. doi:10.1136/bjo.7.2.65

[4]   J. M. Canavan, M. J. O’Flaherry and D. B. Archer, “A 10-Year Survey of Eye Injuries in Northern Ireland 1967-76,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 64, No. 8, 1980, pp. 618-625. doi:10.1136/bjo.64.8.618

[5]   N. P. Jones, “One Year of Severe Eye Injuries in Sport,” Eye, Vol. 2, 1988, pp. 484-487. doi:10.1038/eye.1988.97

[6]   C. J. MacEwen, “Eye Injuries: A Prospective Survey of 5671 Cases,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 73, No. 11, 1989, pp. 888-894. doi:10.1136/bjo.73.11.888

[7]   T. Leivo, I. Puusaari and T. Makitie, “Sports-Related Eye Injuries: Floorball Endangers the Eyes of Young Players,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, Vol. 17, No. 5, 2007, pp. 556-563.

[8]   M. Jovanovic, I. Stefanovic and Z. Latkovic, “Mechanical Injuries of the Eye: Incidence, Structure and Possibilities for Prevention,” Vojnosanitetski Pregled, Vol. 67, No. 12, 2010, pp. 983-990.

[9]   D. R. May, F. P. Kuhn, R. E. Morris, C. D. Witherspoon, R. P. Danis, G. P. Matthews and I. Mann, “The Epidemiology of Serious Eye Injuries from the United States Eye Injury Registry,” Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, Vol. 238, No. 2, 2000, pp. 153-157. doi:10.1007/PL00007884

[10]   P. Desai, C. J. McEwen, P. Baines and D. C. Minassian, “Epidemiology and Implications of Ocular Trauma Admitted to Hospital in Scotland,” Journal of Epidemiology & Community Helath, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1996, pp. 436-441. doi:10.1136/jech.50.4.436

[11]   J. A. Capao Filipe, “Soccer (Football) Ocular Injuries: An Important Eye Health Problem,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 88, No. 2, 2004, pp. 159-160. doi:10.1136/bjo.2003.031518

[12]   J. S. Kent, R. B. Eidsness, K. M. Colleaux and K. G. Romanchuk, “Indoor Soccer-Related Eye Injuries: Should Eye Protection Be Mandatory?” Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 42, No. 4, 2007, pp. 605-608. doi:10.3129/i07-093

[13]   D. S. Morris, “Ocular Blunt Trauma: Loss of Sight from an Ice Hockey Injuri,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 40, No. 3, 2006, pp. 1-2. doi:10.1136/bjsm.2005.017889

[14]   M. Bianco, A. S. Vaiano, F. Colella, F. Coccimiglio, M. Masetti, V. Palmieri, F. Focosi and P. Zeppilli, “Ocular Complications of Boxing,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 39, No. 2, 2005, pp. 70-74. doi:10.1136/bjsm.2003.006643

[15]   M. Hazar, M. Beyloroglu and M. Subasi, “Ophthalmological Findings in Elite Amateur Turkish Boxers,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 36, No. 6, 2002, pp. 428-430. doi:10.1136/bjsm.36.6.428

 
 
Top