Name: Dr. Basanta Kumar Samala
Title: Computational Scientist
Affiliation: ICHEC, National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland
Air quality, atmosphere & health
Atmospheric and oceanic physics
Climate change and broadcast meteorology
Climate dynamics and variability
Clouds and precipitation physics
Dynamics of atmospheres and ocean
Hydrology, oceans and atmosphere
Marine meteorology and meteorology-associated geophysics
Meteorological, climatological and atmospheric environmental issues
Satellite meteorology and synoptic meteorology
Theoretical and applied climatology
Weather systems, numerical weather prediction
2011 Ph.D., Pune University, India, Atmospheric Sciences
1997 M.Sc., Berhampur University, India, Oceanography
1994 B.Sc., Berhampur University, India, Chemistry
1. A Thomas, B. K. Samala, A. Kaginalkar (2014) Simulation of North Indian Ocean tropical cyclones using RAMS numerical weather prediction model, accepted in Tropical cyclone research and review. Volume 3, (1):44-52.
2. Krishnan, R., K. V. Ramesh, B. K. Samala, G Meyers, J. M. Slingo, and M. J. Fennessy (2006), Indian Ocean-monsoon coupled interactions and impending monsoon droughts, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L08711, doi:10.1029/2006GL025811.
3. Rao. R. R., M. S. Girish Kumar, M. Ravichandran, B. K. Samala, and Nandakumar Sreedevi, (2006) Observed mini-cold pool off the southern tip of India and its intrusion into the south central Bay of Bengal during summer monsoon season, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L06607, doi:10.1029/2005GL025382.
4. Rao. R. R., M. S. Girish Kumar, M. Ravichandran, B. K. Samala and G. Anitha (2006) Observed intraseasonal variability of mini-cold pool off the southern tip of India and its intrusion into the south central Bay of Bengal during summer monsoon season, Geophys. Res. Lett. 33, L15606, doi:10.1029/2006GL026086.
5. B. K. Samala, C. Nagaraju, S. Banerjee, A. Kaginalkar, and M. Dalvi (2013): Study of the Indian summer monsoon using WRF-ROMS regional coupled model simulations, Atmospheric Science Letters, 14: 20-27.
6. B. K. Samala, R. Krishnan, M. roxy (2012) Assessment of one month forecasts of weak Indian monsoons based on the NCEP Climate Forecast System (CFS), Meteorological Applications, 19: 189–199.
7. B. K. Samala and R. Krishnan (2008) Cloud radiative impacts on the tropical Indian Ocean associated with the evolution of “monsoon-breaks”, International Journal of Climatology, 28:2, 205-217.
Last Updated: 2020/08/06
Reference this profile directly: https://www.ichec.ie/staff/basanta-kumar-samala-phd